city of Chalkida
Chalkida is the
capital of the prefecture of Evia. It lies
north-east off the mainland of Greece with about
It is built on both
sides of the Strait of Euripus, one part on the
island of Evia and the other on mainland Greece. On
the mainland, the Venetian castle of Karababa
dominates Kanouthou hill which together with the
bridge of Euripus and the unique tidal phenomenon
where the water changes direction every six hours
after a one hour pause, are the most important
characteristic features of the city.
The name ‘chalkis’[
copper] is derived from the copper mines that were
mined in that area which were one of the factors
which constituted its prosperous development in
Ancient Greece.Chalkida, with its two ports in
Euripus, was one of the most prosperous and
progressive cities in Ancient Greece. It created
colonies from Thrace in northern Greece as far as
Italy and Sicily. Because of its prosperity it was
invaded by the Peloponnesians, Athenians, Thebans
and Macedonians from time to time.
From 1205 to 1470
Chalkida and the whole of Evia was under the
jurisdiction of the Venetians who built remarkable
fortifications. In 1470 it was occupied by the Turks
who remained in power for three centuries. It was
finally liberated in 1830.
castle if Chalkida.
The site of the castle
is said to be on the ancient town of Kanitho as
traces of buildings and graves have been found on
the surface of the ground. The hill was probably
fortified for the first time during the Roman period
but it is certain that it had no fortifications
during the Byzantine period ,the Venetian occupation
and the first centuries of the Turkish domination.
The fortress which
exists today was built by the Turks in 1684 for the
purpose of protecting Chalkida from the Venetians.
It was designed by Beneto Gerolimo Galopo and its
architecture is more European than Turkish. The fort
was unsuccessfully besieged by Morozini in 1688 and
the Turks were able to maintain their domination
until the liberation of Greece.
The Karababa castle is
situated on Viotias hill which is called Fourna.It
is in a strategic position as it controls the
Strait of Euripus and the city of Chalkida.
It is of Venetian
style with an oblong enclosure, orientated
east-west, with a rampart on the northern side,
three bastions and a large tower. The southern part
of the wall is in very bad condition. Ancient
architectural structures have been built into some
parts of the enclosure. The most complex hexagonal
bastion can be found on the eastern side overlooking
Chalkida. On the ramparts there are two Russian
cannons, dating from the 19th century.
The only column in the fortress can be found on the
south-east side of the wall which is surrounded by
buildings of a military nature. On the eastern wall
of the enclosure, between the column and the eastern
tower, there is a bell tower built where the
emergency bell of the fortress existed. The only
well-preserved building inside the enclosure is the
Chapel of the Prophet Elijah which was built in
1895.At the end of the western wall there is a
seven-sided tower the dignified defence building of
the fortress. The entrance to the tower is from a
narrow archway which looks like a labyrinth.